Testing time in wind for time-triallists
A gusty wind made conditions difficult in the VC Baracchi 10 mile time trial along the Waveney Valley.
Mark Arnold (Pedal Revolution.com) won in 21:43, seven seconds ahead of East District 10 mile champion James Eman (Anglia Velo).
The long headwind first leg to Bungay must have been hard work on Arnold’s favourite fixed gear. Third overall went to Lowestoft rider Simon Asher in 22:21, while best veteran on standard was Chris Nudds (CC Breckland).
Eman led David Staff (22:42) and Martin Pyne (24:13) to an Anglia Velo team win and Emilie Fisher (Orbea/For Goodness Shakes) took the ladies’ prize with her 24:21.
The previous day Arnold together with fellow Red Lodge resident Nino Piccoli travelled to South Wales hoping for a good team time on the fast 25 mile course on the A465 along the Neath Valley.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Bason, their Pedal Revolution.com team-mate from Shropshire, won the event in 50:58, Piccoli did 51:44 and Mark Arnold 53:37, yielding a team time of 2:36:19 – fast for a cool, windy morning but some way off the competition record of 2:28:23.
Piccoli started his weekend by returning to his family home to win the King’s Lynn CC 10 mile time trial at Tottenhill, completing a hat trick of wins in the event with a new course record time of 20:24.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 7 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Best veteran was Alan Hale who has rejoined his old club, Haverhill Wheelers. His 23:17 beat the standard for his 68 years by 8:28.
RESULT - VC Baracchi 10, Wortwell
1 Mark Arnold, www.TT-Weekly.com, 21:43
2 James Eman, Anglia Velo, 21:50
3 Simon Asher, VC Norwich, 22:21
4 David Staff, Anglia Velo, 22:42,
5 Duncan Murphy, Diss & District CC, 22:53
6, Andrew Leggett, Stowmarket & District CC, 22:54
7, Angus Jardine, Ipswich BC, 22:55
8, Liam Gentry, VC Baracchi, 23:04
9, Mark Lloyd, Colchester Rovers CC, 23:13
10, Chris Nudds, CC Breckland, 23:17