“That was terrific!” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, heaped the praise on his back four after today’s rip-roaring 2-1 home win over league leaders Gillingham
The U’s recorded back-to-back wins by toppling the league leaders in a thriller at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.
Gavin Massey swept the U’s into a fourth minute lead, and although Luke Norris equalised just three minutes later, Callum Harriott regained the lead with what proved to be the winner just before the half-hour mark.
Jamie Jones also made a crucial penalty save, his second of the week, by blocking Cody McDonald’s 34th minute spot kick.
“That was terrific!” enthused Humes.
You may also want to watch:
“Gillingham are a good team, and you can see why they are up there, at the top of the league.
“They play with a lot of energy, and they put us under pressure.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
“But I have to praise our back four, they were outstanding, and we got our just rewards in the end.
“It was a jittery start from us, but our centre-halves (Frankie Kent and Tom Eastman) were outstanding.
“Frankie was immense in the second half,” added Humes.
The U’s next game is away at Swindon next Saturday.