The best pictures from Ipswich Town’s 5-2 win over Sunderland
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town put on a show in their 5-2 thumping of Sunderland last night – and you can see some of the best pictures of the match here.
Mick McCarthy’s men crushed the struggling Black Cats in a scintillating showing at Portman Road which got fans feeling that the good times could really be on the way back.
Martyn Waghorn was the star of the show with a goal and three assists against his old team, while Jordan Spence, Bersant Celina, David McGoldrick and Grant Ward also got on the scoresheet.
Afterwards, Mick McCarthy said: “I don’t know what happened! We don’t score five do we? We don’t play that way. I really enjoyed it.”
He continued: “If that doesn’t enthuse the fans I don’t know what will.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always tried to create an attacking team. I won the league at Sunderland with 4-4-2. We scored a lot of goals when I was at Wolves too. I got in the play-offs here.
“I’ve always tried to do it, but sometimes had to play with a means to an end. Now we’ve got a few more attacking players and different options.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
“I thought they would play the likes of (Aiden) McGeady, (James) Vaughan and (Callum) McManaman and I just thought that Garner, Bersant, McGoldrick and Waghorn were be better than whatever front four they put out. Thankfully that’s how it turned out.
“You’ve got to have that security too and I thought (Cole) Skuesy was terrific and Tom Adeyemi too. It was a really good performance.
“We could have had more. They blocked one on the line and the keeper has made saves. It was an outstanding attacking performance.
“It won’t work every week, but it’s nice it worked tonight.”