‘The hard work starts now’ for Ipswich Town youngster Andre Dozzell
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Teenage star Andre Dozzell has insisted ‘the hard work starts now’ as he bids to become a firm fixture in Ipswich Town’s first team squad.
The 16-year-old, who turns 17 on May 2, came off the bench against Sheffield Wednesday on April 16 and headed home the Blues’ equaliser on his debut, emulating the achievement of his father Jason 32 years previously.He then started the home game with Fulham three days later and, after admitting the last 10 days have been a whirlwind, is now keen to put in the work required to earn a place in the first team squad next season.
“It’s been a great few weeks for me and obviously I was delighted to make my debut and score for the club,” he told Ipswich Player.
“Things have been a bit crazy but I’ve been overwhelmed by all the messages I’ve had from people. It’s a bit strange because I used to joke with my mates about scoring on my debut, and when it happened it really was a dream come true.
“I didn’t really know what to do when I scored at Hillsborough and I think that showed in my celebration!
“But I was just delighted to be involved and it was great that my dad was in the crowd.
You may also want to watch:
“The gaffer told me to get warmed up and after that, everything was a bit of a blur. I played against Fulham as well and that was great, to make my first start at Portman Road.
“That’s the aim for me now, to be in and around the first-team squad but I know I’ve got to work hard in pre-season.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
“I’ll keep working hard and hopefully I can cement a place in the first-team squad next season.”