The Ipswich Town end of season survey results - part one
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
‘Uninspiring’, ‘frustrating’, ‘bland’ and ‘stale’ are all words used by Ipswich fans to describe a disappointing 2015/16 season, during which manager Mick McCarthy garnered mixed reviews from the Blues’ support.
More than a thousand fans responded to our online end-of-season survey where we asked for a summary of the campaign in just one word, with ‘backwards’, ‘honest and ‘forgivable’ also used in reference to a season where the Blues faded, to finish seventh, five points off the play-offs.
With more than 80% of responders expecting the Blues to finish in a play-off place or higher at the start of the season, a lack of investment from owner Marcus Evans was cited by fans as the major reason why McCarthy’s side missed out on a shot at promotion.
However, 40% of fans still firmly believe McCarthy is the right man for the job. A further 38% are beginning to ask questions of the former Wolves and Sunderland boss’s suitability, while 22% believe it’s time for him to go.
Despite an overriding sense of disappointment at Portman Road in 2015/16, there were still plenty of bright spots and we asked fans to vote for their goal of the season, best moment of the campaign and to highlight the Blues’ best performing players.
You may also want to watch:
We asked fans to name their top moment of the season, with nearly a third voting for teenager Andre Dozzell’s equaliser away at Sheffield Wednesday as the teenager matched his father Jason’s achievement by scoring on his Ipswich debut aged just 16. Last minute winners from Luke Chambers and Brett Pitman also ranked highly amongst Town’s best moments, as did the 1-0 win at Brighton in December.
Bartosz Bialkowski swept the board as he claimed players of the year awards from his teammates, fans and sponsors alike after a stunning end to the campaign, with the Pole also now voted as the Blues’ most improved player of the season by 60 per cent of fans ahead of Jonas Knudsen on 23 per cent.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
More than half of those asked named Pitman as McCarthy’s best permanent signing of the season, with Ryan Fraser almost unanimously declared as the Blues’ best loan signing and the player Ipswich fans would most like to see return next season. Loanee Liam Feeney and out-of-contract utility man Kevin Foley would also be welcomed back.