“The lads showed fantastic team spirit” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes after 2-0 win at O’s
Colchester United boss Tony Humes praised his side for showing “fantastic team spirit” to record their first win of the season, a 2-0 success at Leyton Orient this afternoon.
The U’s went down to 10 men, just before half-time, when skipper Magnus Okuonghae was sent off for a rash challenge on ex-U’s loanee David Mooney.
But the 10-man U’s performed heroics in the second half to take all three points, thanks to super-cool finishes by Sanchez Watt (62mins) and Freddie Sears (72).
“I’m absolutely delighted,” enthused manager Humes.
“We got more than we expected, after going down to 10 men.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought we lacked a little bit of belief in the first half. We went away from our game-plan, but we defended resolutely and got to half-time at 0-0.
“I decided to stick with two up front, after Magnus got sent off, because I wanted us to stay positive.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 5 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 9 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 10 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
“We had to be brave, and we had to be braver on the ball than we had been in the first half.
“And I thought we played better with 10 men than we had done with 11.
“It was a fantastic finish from Sanchez (Watt) for his goal, and Freddie (Sears) worked his socks off all afternoon. He is shattered,” added Humes.