The U’s equivalent to Heskey and Owen!
- Credit: Archant
FREDDIE Sears has likened his strike-force partnership, with Jabo Ibehre, to that of the old Emile Heskey/Michael Owen pairing at Liverpool.
Sears swept home the only goal of the game against Preston on Saturday, following up after Ibehre’s initial shot had been half-checked by keeper Thorsten Stuckmann.
It was his fourth goal in five games, and his seventh goal of the campaign, arriving on 55 minutes.
“Jabo is brilliant. He works so hard for the team,” enthused Sears.
“He’s the sort of player that you love having around.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s like the Emile Heskey and Michael Owen relationship. Jabo works really hard, and I try to get on the end of his knock-downs.
“Jabo had a shot, which came off the keeper, and I managed to knock it in. That’s four goals in five for me, so I’m delighted.”
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Asked, jokingly, whether he considered himself to be the equivalent pint-sized goal-poacher Owen, or the big target man Heskey, Sears added: “I think I’m Owen, just about!”
The U’s next match is away at promotion-chasing Sheffield United next Saturday.