“There’s been a lot of hearsay” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes on Freddie Sears’ transfer talk
Colchester United boss Tony Humes has revealed that no club has yet made an approach for the club’s leading scorer, Freddie Sears.
Front-runner Sears, who slotted home his 13th goal of the season in the 3-1 defeat at Cardiff in the FA Cup last Friday night, has at present failed to agree terms over a new U’s contract - his current deal expires this summer.
“There’s been a bit of hearsay from a couple of other clubs, but nothing definite,” explained Humes. “They are just football rumour-mills, more than anything. There’s been no definite contact with the club or the chairman.
“Freddie is here for the weekend (at Peterborough), so we are delighted.
“He’s come back into his sharpness and form – not that he wasn’t performing – but he just looked a bit sharper certainly against Crawley and at Cardiff.
“His confidence should be up, after his goal last Friday, so we look forward to him being very prominent. He’s enjoying his football.”
The U’s travel to Peterborough United tomorrow.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking