‘There’s no dressing this up’ – McGreal after U’s defeat at Crawley
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, admitted that “you couldn’t dress this one up” after his side’s sub-standard performance in a 2-0 defeat at Crawley Town this afternoon.
Despite playing against 10 men for the last hour, due to Crawley defender Joe McNerney’s straight red card for a foul on Harry Pell, the U’s could not capitalise and were downed by a quality brace of goals from Luke Gambin, on 61 and 90 minutes.
“There was just too much accepting from my players, with balls going into the keeper’s arms and crosses going wide,” rued McGreal.
“There was not enough demanding off each other.
“We didn’t start well in the second half, and overall it’s really, really disappointing.
You may also want to watch:
“You look at the pride in the shirt and the badge. I’m really exhausted by trying to get some vibrancy into my players, and some energy.
“You can’t dress this one up. The players have got to be accountable for this sort of performance, against 10 men.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 10 Woman found dead in country park is named
“Things will have to change,” added McGreal.