“There’s not a better feeling in the world” – Colchester United match-winner George Moncur
- Credit: Su Anderson
George Moncur was over-the-moon to score the crucial goal that kept Colchester United in League One, on the final day of the season this afternoon.
Classy midfielder Moncur swept home an 82nd minute winner for the U’s, to beat promotion-chasing Preston 1-0 at a packed Weston Homes Community Stadium, and so retain the club’s League One status.
Results elsewhere went the U’s way, with Crawley, Notts County and Crewe all losing, so the U’s escaped the bottom four in the nick of time.
“There’s not a better feeling in the world,” enthused match-winner Moncur.
“It’s my first season in League One, and to secure safety in this first season, in this way – just nothing comes close to that.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought that both teams were a little bit edgy in the first half, and there wasn’t really much happening.
“But it opened up a lot, and we started getting chances, especially on the break. I thought we deserved to get the goal.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
“All credit to Chris (Porter). He may have missed the penalty (in the 57th minute), but it was he who set me back for the shot that won it,”. added Moncur.