“There’s not a better feeling in the world” – Colchester United match-winner George Moncur
- Credit: Su Anderson
George Moncur was over-the-moon to score the crucial goal that kept Colchester United in League One, on the final day of the season this afternoon.
Classy midfielder Moncur swept home an 82nd minute winner for the U’s, to beat promotion-chasing Preston 1-0 at a packed Weston Homes Community Stadium, and so retain the club’s League One status.
Results elsewhere went the U’s way, with Crawley, Notts County and Crewe all losing, so the U’s escaped the bottom four in the nick of time.
“There’s not a better feeling in the world,” enthused match-winner Moncur.
“It’s my first season in League One, and to secure safety in this first season, in this way – just nothing comes close to that.
“I thought that both teams were a little bit edgy in the first half, and there wasn’t really much happening.
“But it opened up a lot, and we started getting chances, especially on the break. I thought we deserved to get the goal.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 6 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
- 10 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
“All credit to Chris (Porter). He may have missed the penalty (in the 57th minute), but it was he who set me back for the shot that won it,”. added Moncur.