Thetford Town defeat Franlingham Town in FA Vase thriller
- Credit: Archant
This was the first ever competitive match between these two in-form sides and it was Thurlow Nunn Premier League Thetford who came out on top against their Division One opponents in an entertaining game.
Both sides tried to attack from the off as Fram keeper Gary Rose was soon forced to throw himself at the feet of the onrushing Robbie Priddle.
Almost immediately Fram midfielder Chris Hunt had an effort turned round the post by Kingsley Barnes.
It was the visitors who opened the scoring on 11 minutes as Johnny Kerridge cut in from the right and held off some ineffective challenges before finding Danny Smith whose effort was deflected beyond keeper Barnes.
However, the Brecklanders equalised in their next attack when a pinpoint cross from Jordan Attree was powerfully headed home by the onrushing Priddle.
You may also want to watch:
The home side then took the lead midway through the half after the officials failed to spot a hand ball from Alex McIntosh, who started a fine cross field move which ended with Max Melanson firing a superb 25 yard daisy-cutter into the corner.
The home side were now playing fine stuff with Rob Bailey and George O’Mahoney bossing the midfield.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 5 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 9 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
Fram held out until immediately after the restart when McIntosh’s effort from distance was spilled by Rose and the ball eventually fell into the path of Priddle, who made no mistake with his seventh of the season.
Still Fram would not lie down and pulled a goal back when Barnes punched a free kick delivered by keeper Rose straight to Simon Poacher who produced an expert lob over the stranded defence and into the corner.
Popular substitute Bruno Tavares was then introduced beginning to add some more energy to the Thetford forward line and it was he who restored the two goal cushion from close range after being played in by the impressive Priddle.
Fram were not finshed and pulled another goal back in injury time when Josh Sprague dinked the ball into the path of Danny Smith and his effort trickled against the post before Kerridge converted the rebound.
However, there was no time for the visitors to mount another attack as much-improved Thetford, now unbeaten in five, took their place in the next round.