Three league wins on the trot for impressive Colchester United

George Moncur, who broke the deadlock after just three minutes at Swindon this afternoon

George Moncur, who broke the deadlock after just three minutes at Swindon this afternoon - Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd

Swindon Town 1 Colchester United 2

Colchester United won three league games on the spin, in one league season, for the first time in 35 months at Swindon Town this afternoon.

Goals from George Moncur, his fifth in the last five appearances, and Callum Harriott sealed another impressive win for Tony Humes’ men.

This followed on from previous victories at Sheffield United (3-2) and over Gillingham (2-1).

The U’s were in front inside three minutes. Moncur ran onto Matt Briggs’ accurate low cross, crashing home from 10 yards out.

You may also want to watch:

Swindon levelled in the 22nd minute. Defender Jordan Turnbull flicked on Fabien Robert’s corner and an unmarked Wes Thomas swatted home the loose ball from point blank range.

But the U’s were deservedly back in front before half-time, thanks to Harriott’s clinical finish. The Charlton loanee scampered onto Marvin Sordell’s wonderful first touch, from Garvan’s pass, and drilled past keeper Tyrell Belford.

Most Read

And that proved to be the winning goal.

The U’s made one change to the side that beat then-league leaders Gillingham 2-1 last weekend. Tosin Olufemi came in for the injured Kane Vincent-Young at right-back, to start his first game since April, 2014.

It took less than three minutes for the visitors to take the lead, via Moncur’s calm finish from Briggs’ lay-off.

Swindon did not seriously threaten until the 12th minute, when Wes Thomas blazed over from an excellent position, following a good passing move.

The U’s were on the attack again on 14 minutes, with Moncur close to bagging his second goal of the game. His ferocious angled drive was diverted around his post by keeper Belford.

But against the run of play, Swindon equalised in the 22nd minute, Thomas slamming home from close range following a corner routine.

And the Robins should really have gone ahead, just before the half-hour mark. A mistake by Olufemi allowed the hosts to attack on the break, and Henrik Ojamaa looked poised to score from close-in, only for his shot to be superbly diverted over the bar by keeper Jamies Jones.

It was developing into a very open game, and the U’s had a chance to regain the lead in the 32nd minute. However, the angle was just a little too tight for the onrushing Moncur, who drilled into the side-netting from Callum Harriott’s firm cross.

A minute later and Joe Edwards should really have done better when lifting a 20-yarder over the bar. He had the time and space to have at least forced a save from Belford.

In the 41st minute, Gavin Massey had a clear sight of goal from Owen Garvan’s cushioned header, only for his goal-bound shot to be blocked by Louis Thompson’s outstretched leg, inside the six-yard box.

But the U’s regained the lead, just 60 seconds later, through Harriott’s smart finish from Sordell’s neat touch.

Into the second half and Moncur, not for the first time during the afternoon, was close to a second goal. His shot from Sordell’s slick break and pass was blocked by a defender, otherwise that would have been a goal.

At the other end, Jones was in the right place to catch defender Jordan Turnbull’s goal-bound header, just after the hour mark.

Only the woodwork denied the U’s a third goal in the 73rd minute. Massey’s rising shot, following a swift break, was tipped onto the bar by keeper Belford.

It was the Robins’ turn to hit the woodwork just three minutes later, striker Nicky Ajose hitting the post from point blank range, from substitute Jeremy Balmy’s cross.

In the 90th minute, Olufemi cleared Branco’s header off the goal-line.

The last time the U’s won three league games on the spin, in one season, was back in October, 2012.


SWINDON TOWN: Belford, Branco, Traore, Williams, Turnbull, Kasim (sub Brophy, 60), L Thompson, Ojamaa, Robert (sub Balmy, 76), Ajose, Thomas (sub Hylton, 27). Unused subs: Vigouroux, Ormonde-Ottewill, Rodgers, Barry.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Jones, Olufemi, Kent, Eastman, Briggs, Edwards, Garvan, Moncur (sub Gilbey, 79), Massey, Sordell (sub Bonne, 88), Harriott (sub Ambrose, 74). Unused subs: Parish, Elokobi, Porter, Sembie-Ferris.

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter