Three out of five loanees are cup-tied
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United will be without three of their five loanees, for this Saturday’s FA Cup first round tie against Sheffield United.
Keeper Sam Walker and left-back Luke Garbutt are both available, but Jeffrey Monakana, Elliot Lee and Cian Bolger are all cup-tied.
It is particularly frustrating for West Ham loanee Lee, who celebrated his ever senior goal with a last gasp equaliser at Rotherham last weekend.
Bolton loanee Bolger will also miss out, as well as being unavailable for the following weekend’s home match against Swindon, due to international duty.
And winger Monakana will also be sidelined for a couple of games. The Preston loanee, in addition to sitting out the visit of the Blades, will be unable to play at his parent club in a fortnight’s time.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve got to make changes,” confirmed Dunne during this morning’s press conference.
“We’ve looked at it this week, but we’re starting to make progress with some of the injured players coming back.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 7 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
“We’re lucky that it’s happening now, at the right time, because with the loan players not able to play, there would have to have been a real shift in thinking, in terms of selection.”
Tom Eastman will replace Bolger in the heart of defence, having been sidelined for eight weeks with an ankle injury.