Thurlow Nunn League round-up: Bottom side Whitton United shock Long Melford


- Credit: Archant

Thurlow Nunn reports from Saturday, February 20.

Premier Division Haverhill Rovers 0 Thetford Town 4

The hosts thought they had taken the lead on 34 minutes, but Jess Luff’s header was disallowed for offside, before Thetford were ahead through Shane Leech’s 25 yard effort.

Shane Hundson’s header from a corner on 45 minutes gave the visitors a 2-0 lead, before Will Gardner was sent off in the 63rd minute for violent conduct. Thetford made it 3-0 on 73 minutes when Hundson scored from the spot.

Leech netted his second goal of the afternoon two minutes later when he chipped the ball over the advancing James Philp.

Whitton United 2 Long Melford 0

Another below par performance by Long Melford saw them hand the three points to bottom side Whitton United on Saturday.

Most Read

Melford went behind after seven minutes when the speedy Sam Quinton saw his well-struck shot saved by Sam Mansfield, with Josh Turner’s deflected shot from the rebound finding the target.

United doubled their lead early in the second-half when Josh Hubert’s cross at the far post reached Jamie Cole, who thumped the ball into the top of the Melford net.

Godmanchester Rovers 4 Hadleigh United 0

Hadleigh United were without four of their most experienced defenders plus striker Danny Thrower and conceded a goal in the first minute when Austen Diaper netted following a corner.

Godmanchester keeper Niall Conroy then made a fingertip save from Scott Chaplin in what was Hadleigh’s only worthwhile effort, before John Yambasu broke away to increase the lead after 43 minutes.

Lewis McDonald fired in the home side’s third goal on the hour, before Diaper headed home from close range.

First Division Great Yarmouth Town 4 Haverhill Borough 1

Haverhill Borough fell to a 4-1 defeat away at Great Yarmouth Town, which was a final score that somewhat flattered the hosts.

Yarmouth took an early lead in the seventh minute, after a far post corner was headed back across goal to Mitch Forbes who made it 1-0. Borough put together their best spell which resulted in Harry Halls equalising on 24 minutes, following an exchange of passes with Craig Pruden.

Parity remained for only two minutes though as in their next attack Yarmouth went 2-1 up through Sean Perfect, before further goals from Lee Roots and Forbes completed the victory for the Bloaters.

Woodbridge Town 3

March Town 2

The home side took a deserved lead after 16 minutes when George Bowman’s corner was headed in by Jake Green before Sinclair made it 2-0 after 23 minutes with a neat finish from 10 yards. Keeble pushed it to 3-0 from close range after 32 minutes and March faced an uphill battle.

But Jackson pulled a goal back on the hour with a shot from the edge of the area to make it 3-1 and Kieran Brady’s shot from close range two minutes later made it 3-2.

In the last minutes home keeper Harry Lay Fulcher’s save from Woods and an excellent punch away from Barber’s shot proved crucial in an entertaining match.

Walsham-le-Willows 1 Mildenhall Town 2

Mildenhall Town took the lead when Ben Yeomans headed home following a corner after 10 minutes, before Walsham equalised when Nathan Clarke looped the ball over Josh Pope and into the net.

But a great run and pass from Jamie Hilton found Yeomans for the winner.