Thurlow Nunn League round-up - Saturday, October 22

Michael Brothers

Michael Brothers

Thurlow Nunn football round-up

Premier Division Ipswich Wanderers 2 FC Clacton 2

FC Clacton included new signing Michael Brothers from Needham Market in their line-up looking for a change in fortune, and their first points of the season when they visited Ipswich Wanderers.

It was Wanderers however, who made all the early running and Paddi Hawkins in the Clacton goal had to make a number of key saves to keep his side in the game.

He was finally beaten after 22 minutes when Darius Laws glanced home a cross from Paulo Coehlo to give the home side the lead.

You may also want to watch:

Further chances fell to Wanderers to increase their lead, but they were either wasted or saved by Hawkins.

Wanderers were made to pay when Brothers drilled home an equaliser on 52 minutes and, from that point onwards, Clacton visibly grew in confidence.

Most Read

Mark Goldfinch made a saving tackle to prevent Clacton taking the lead, and then James Bradbrook made a great block from Brothers as Clacton pressed.

They were rewarded on 70 minutes when confusion in the Wanderers defence presented Adam Daniels with the opportunity to fire the visitors ahead.

Clacton failed to hold on for the win though and Goldfinch hooked home an 83rd minute equaliser for Wanderers following a free-kick. In time added-on Brothers was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Long Melford 1 Brantham Athletic 2

It was so near yet so far for a Melford team, determined to reverse their recent run of poor results.

Most independent observers would have concluded that, on their overall performance, the Villagers deserved at least a point for their efforts.

The first period was shaded by the visitors, but Melford came back with a much better second-half, but that final reward not quite available.

The opening goal arrived against the run of play after 27 minutes when Milo Downey ran some 30 yards without being challenged for the ball and found Ben Newson wide on the Melford right flank, whose well struck shot on the angle found the Melford net.

Just nine minutes later and the second goal arrived.

Three attempts to clear by the Melford defence from the penalty box were blocked and finally the ball rebounded to Jorge Syrett who scored from close range.

It was a good performance from Melford in the second-half with Ashley Skeggs firing over the bar and then hitting the post from an angle.

And from another set-piece Steve Adams went narrowly wide with a powering header.

The goal came after 82 minutes via the penalty spot. Brantham full-back Ryan Yallop continued his shirt pulling habit and, having been yellow carded earlier for a similar offence, he was sent off by the referee, receiving a second yellow followed by a red card, after pulling Skeggs to the ground.

Will Wingfield calmly converted from the spot to cut Brantham’s lead in half.

But despite Melford throwing all into attack they were unable to level the scores and were unlucky not to share the points, with Brantham going home victorious.

First Division March Town United 1 Woodbridge Town 4

Woodbridge took the lead on 18 minutes when Danny Jackson’s through ball sent Mark Ray through to score from a tight angle.

Jake Green toe poked the ball in from close range in the 35th minute to make it 2-0, before Hammond added a third shortly before half-time.

March pulled one back in the second-half, before Ray completed the scoring late on.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter