Thurlow Nunn League: Weekend review

Swaffham's Jack Defty heads the only goal of the game against Whitton

Swaffham's Jack Defty heads the only goal of the game against Whitton - Credit: Archant

Reports from this weekend’s action in the Thurlow Nunn Premier and Division One.

Premier Division Mildenhall Town 0 Hadleigh United 0

One point apiece was a fitting outcome to this goalless Suffolk derby.

The nearest the game came to a goal was on 34 minutes when Mildenhall’s Kevin Enero looked certain to score but de;ayed his shot, allowing goalkeeper Ben Nower to clear the danger.

There was drama midway through the second half when Nower needed treatment for a dislocated finger.

You may also want to watch:

He recovered to preserve his clean sheet.

Just before the end, Liam Scopes flashed a header wide for Hadleigh.

Most Read

Then, deep into stoppage time, Mildenhall substitute Brown received a red card for a second booking.

Brantham Athletic 7

Thetford Town 3

Brantham had a couple of good chances before they took the lead when a superb through ball from Sean Bartlett put Ollie Mann through and he rounded the keeper before slotting home.

Brantham then went three up before the break, courtesy of a double from Bartlett, before Standley gave Thetford hope.

The start of the second half saw Mann have a goal ruled out for offside, but this did not deter him, the striker scoring three more well-worked goals.

Thetford pulled a second goal back when Sean Hudson hit home in the box, but Connor Ward scored his first and Brantham’s seventh after some good work from Simon Mann.

With just minutes left Luke Howlett scored a third for Thetford.

Whitton United 0

Swaffham Town 1

Jack Defty scored the only goal of the game as 10-man Swaffham held on for victory.

Dean Miller was red-carded for the visitors, while Whitton’s Camillo Douglas saw his penalty saved by Lee Brook.

Ross Myhill scored for Ipswich Wanderers, but Glenn Read’s side lost 3-1 at Newmarket Town.

First Division KO Cup

Woodbridge Town 1 Cornard United 2

Woodbridge Town so nearly forced this Division One cup tie to penalties in injury time after hitting the woodwork three times.

Sam Cole’s free kick after eight minutes was headed onto the crossbar by skipper Joe Langfield for the Woodpeckers.

Cornard took the lead when Nathan Finan’s accurate corner found Luke Payne and he made no mistake from close range after 23 minutes.

Cornard increased their lead when the experienced Rene Swann finished superbly to make it 2-0.

Thrower again crossed after 80 minutes and Slinn made it 2-1 with a neat finish.

In the last seconds Bowman’s goalbound shot was superbly turned over the bar by Reid but the home side could not force an equaliser.

First Division

Haverhill Borough 0

Great Yarmouth 2

Goals at the end of each half condemned Haverhill Borough to a 2-0 home defeat against Great Yarmouth on Saturday, in the First Division.

Yarmouth’s first goal came when free kick on the left hand side was whipped into the box and Ady Ager leapt highest to head the ball over Charlie Turner and into the Borough goal.

Shaun Perfect was able to grab a second, with a fantastic curling effort into the top corner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter