Thurlow Nunn round-up: Framlingham Town and Woodbridge Town remain unbeaten

Haverhill Borough celebrate a goal in their win over Kirkley. Picture: GARY BROWN

Haverhill Borough celebrate a goal in their win over Kirkley. Picture: GARY BROWN - Credit: Archant

Friday night football attracted 186 to Badingham Road to watch a local derby as Framlingham hosted Woodbridge, both teams unbeaten, with the Woodpeckers topping the Thurlow Nunn First Division with maximum points.

Ryan Kent was on target for Haverhill Borough

Ryan Kent was on target for Haverhill Borough - Credit: Archant

The first half belonged to the home side with a number of chances going begging, a clearance off the line, keeper Strong making two excellent saves and a disallowed goal from a John Kerridge header.

Woodbridge were playing some good possession football and started the second half off better with McKenzie more prominent. Substitute Mark Ray found space on 64 minutes and his shot hit the post before Hammond had a close range header saved.

Fram were still dangerous on the break and on 77 minutes, when Danny Smith was upended in the penalty area, Simon Poacher calmly sent the keeper the wrong way to score.

Woodbridge showed more urgency following the goal and the equaliser came on 84 minutes when substitute Ryan Keeble controlled a cross and planted his shot past keeper Chilvers.

You may also want to watch:

Elsewhere, in the Premier, Haverhill Borough secured their first three points of the new season with a convincing 3-1 victory over Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday.

Borough started well with and after 8 minutes Ash Botten delivered a perfect cross for Ryan Kent to glance past Hayden Rogers in the home goal and put the visitors ahead.

Most Read

The hosts took the setback in their stride and pressured Borough, equalising after 29 minutes. A corner from the left was headed in by the statuesque Jack Herbert to leave the game level.

Minutes later both sides were reduced to ten men as an incident between Borough skipper Casey Phillips and Kirkley’s Dylan Blades saw both players shown red cards.

Borough dominated the second half, with goals from Rory Bone from the spot and Matt Staines giving them victory.

Also in the Premier, Long Melford are still without a win as they were beaten 1-0 at home by Wroxham in front of 64 spectators.

Ross Gilfedder grabbed the winner, tucking away a rebound after Darren Moyes had made a fine save for Melford.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus