Thurlow Nunn round-up: Mildenhall win Premier, three promoted from First Division
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Mildenhall Town were crowned champions of the Thurlow Nunn Premier League today, with a 2-0 win at Thetford Town.
Dean Greygoose’s men have been in superb form all season, and kicked off in Norfolk knowing that a point would be enough to see them win the league.
But they ended up with all three, courtesy of strikes from Dan Brown and Chris Bacon.
The result ended any faint hopes second-place Felixstowe & Walton United had of ending the season top of the league despite a comfortable 3-0 victory over their nearest neighbours, Ipswich Wanderers.
With Newmarket also winning, the battle for the runners up spot continues into the final week of the season with just a point separating second from third.
You may also want to watch:
A clever finish from Craig Jennings, curling the ball into the top corner of Foster’s net from the angle of the penalty area, set the visitors on the way in the 19th minute and Nick Ingram doubled the lead five minutes later, stabbing the loose ball past Foster after the ‘keeper had parried the initial shot.
Wanderers had a couple of off-target efforts before the break with Kris Rose going closest with a far post header from Jack Servery’s free kick but the visitors always looked in control.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 9 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
Any doubt about the result was put to rest on the hour when Matthews jinxed his way into a packed Wanderers area before getting in a shot that took a couple of defections before beating Foster.
The one big chance for the home side came in the 70th minute when Thrower picked out Rose at the far post but Crump produced a strong one handed save to ensure his side kept a clean sheet.
Promotions were also decided in the Thurlow Nunn First Division, with Stowmarket Town, Haverhill Borough and Coggeshall all confirming their steps up the ladder.
Coggeshall saw off Wisbech St Mary 4-0, prompting joyous tweets from part-time player and pop star Olly Murs, while Stowmarket beat Debenham 2-0 to stay top of the league.
Haverhill Borough, meanwhile, confirmed promotion in style - beating Leiston Reserves 13-0!