Thurlow Nunn round-up: Whitton hit five to defeat Gorleston

Josh Cheetham scores his second, and Whitton's third goal

Josh Cheetham scores his second, and Whitton's third goal - Credit: Archant

A round-up of all the weekend action from the Thurlow Nunn Premier and First divisions

Premier Division

Fakenham 1 Brantham 3

Brantham took the lead after 20 minutes when some neat interchange saw the ball fell to Sean Gunn, who rifled home from 15 yards out.

Fakenham drew level when Brantham failed to clear a corner and the ball was hit home from close-range. Five minutes before half time, Brantham regained the lead with Ollie Mann doing well down the left, playing the ball across the box, with the onrushing Sean Bartlett bravely sliding home.

You may also want to watch:

Brantham made the game safe in the 70th minute when Ollie Mann was played through after outpacing two defenders, before setting up Gunn to rifle home.

Whitton 5 Gorleston 0

Most Read

Chris Williams out-muscled Adam Plumstead, rounded the goalkeeper and fired into the net to put Whitton into a first-half lead. Six minutes later, Cheetham doubled Whitton’s advantage.

Cheetham got his second goal and Whitton’s third when he latched on to another ball over the top of the defence and beat Gorleston’s keeper George MaCrae.

Mark Lay got the fourth goal when he was allowed to turn in the penalty area and fire a low right foot shot into the net. The final goal came in the 80th minute from substitute Camillo Douglas.

Long Melford 0 Saffron Walden 3

This was another torrid match for Melford when, after conceding an own goal, in an otherwise even first half, they fell to pieces over the second period.

On the half-hour mark, from a corner, under pressure from Ban Lawrence, Melford defender Jake Jackson headed in his own net. This seemed to impact further on the Melford team in second half and for much of the period they were second best. With no one offering a tackle just outside the Melford penalty area, Spike Bell fired home after 57 minutes. A third goal followed on 61 minutes from Matt Snelling.

Hadleigh 2 Thetford 2

Hard-working Thetford picked up their first point of the season and it could easily have been all three as they led twice.

The game came to life in the 49th minute when Danny Foster raced clear to score.

The Brettsiders equalised after 65 minutes when Scott Chaplin was fouled and Danny Thrower netted the resultant free-kick.

Shawn Hunsdon made it 2-1, before Thrower scored a solo goal late on.

First Division

Ely 1 Haverhill Borough 0

Haverhill Borough were defeated by a dominant Ely City side in the final game of the Eastern Region ground-hopper weekend on Saturday.

The crucial goal came in the 63rd minute, when Alex Knowles fired past Turner from the edge of the penalty area after collecting a loose ball.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter