Thurlow Nunn: Six second-half goals condemn Long Melford to a big defeat


- Credit: James Ager

A round-up of all the weekend action from the Thurlow Nunn League.

Premier Division Long Melford 0 Godmanchester Rovers 7

The Villagers were hit by a six-goal second-half salvo by rampant Godmanchester, and no doubt attention will focus upon a controversial decision by the referee to send off Ashley Drew four minutes before half-time, when the score was still at the single-goal margin.

The opening goal came after seven minutes as James Hall found space down the left flank to cross for Michael Hyam to open his account.

Just four minutes before half-time the referee sent off Ashley Drew for an elbow offence.

You may also want to watch:

The second half can only be described as a complete nightmare for Melford with the visitors taking good advantage of their numerical playing numbers to rack up a big away win.

Haverhill Rovers 1 Whitton United 1

Most Read

The points were deservedly shared in this Premier Division encounter.

Rovers led at the break as Alleyne got the better of the home defence, before rounding Liam Jones to slot home.

Whitton started the second half strongly as they played with two up top.

This saw them draw level when Rovers were guilty of standing off Reece Ingram, who shot into the top corner giving Alex Archer no chance in the Rovers goal.

Williams hit the Rovers woodwork and Newnes shot just wide of the Whitton goal as both sides took a point a piece.

First Division Downham Market 3 Woodbridge Town 1

Woodbridge Town fell to a 3-1 away defeat at Downham Market.

The Woodpeckers fell behind following a defensive mistake after 12 minutes, but almost equalised when George Bowman twice went close with fine efforts.

But the Suffolk side fell further behind as suspect defending and a poor clearance lead to a goal from inside the box.

The same formula saw the lead turn into 3-0 on after 39 minutes, with Matt Butterworth making a brilliant save low to deny Downham a fourth after the interval.

Woodbridge pulled a goal back through Jake Green’s header, after Robbie Bird hit the bar, before Marco Makris was sent off for raising his hand.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter