Thurston schoolgirl’s first England volleyball call-up is a big success
- Credit: Archant
Thurston Community College student, Amelia Hadjianastasi earned her first call-up to the England Juniors Volleyball Squad for the Sainsbury’s School Games, which were held in Manchester, at the weekend.
Sainsbury’s School Games, which were held in Manchester, at the weekend.
England Juniors played five matches in a group stage, Amelia, who trains with Bury Bobcats VC and is part of Volleyball England’s satellite academy at The Boswells School in Chelmsford, featuring heavily as her team went unbeaten to secure a place in Sunday’s final against Scotland West.
Scotland were the eventual winners, pipping England in a deciding set, 15-11, but that couldn’t dampen Amelia’s excitement at what she had been a part of.
“It was my best Volleyball experience to date and I didn’t want it to end,” she said.
“My team were excellent, it was a tough competition with a lot of talent, it stretched me as an athlete and I learnt a lot from it. “Having supportive parents has really helped me as they regularly give up their weekends to drive me to competitions and training up and down the country so without them this wouldn’t have been possible.
I will now be concentrating on the National under-18 competitions which start in a few weeks and continuing to train with the England Junior Squad.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 6 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 7 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
“I am looking forward to a successful future with England’s volleyball squads.”