Thurston schoolgirl’s first England volleyball call-up is a big success
- Credit: Archant
Thurston Community College student, Amelia Hadjianastasi earned her first call-up to the England Juniors Volleyball Squad for the Sainsbury’s School Games, which were held in Manchester, at the weekend.
Sainsbury’s School Games, which were held in Manchester, at the weekend.
England Juniors played five matches in a group stage, Amelia, who trains with Bury Bobcats VC and is part of Volleyball England’s satellite academy at The Boswells School in Chelmsford, featuring heavily as her team went unbeaten to secure a place in Sunday’s final against Scotland West.
Scotland were the eventual winners, pipping England in a deciding set, 15-11, but that couldn’t dampen Amelia’s excitement at what she had been a part of.
“It was my best Volleyball experience to date and I didn’t want it to end,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“My team were excellent, it was a tough competition with a lot of talent, it stretched me as an athlete and I learnt a lot from it. “Having supportive parents has really helped me as they regularly give up their weekends to drive me to competitions and training up and down the country so without them this wouldn’t have been possible.
I will now be concentrating on the National under-18 competitions which start in a few weeks and continuing to train with the England Junior Squad.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 AFC Wimbledon 3-0 Ipswich Town: Woeful Blues well-beaten at Plough Lane in 'season-defining' game
“I am looking forward to a successful future with England’s volleyball squads.”