Tiptree: Young Formula One hopeful Antonio Fuoco pays a visit to sponsors Wilkin & Sons
- Credit: Picture by Doug Blanks - Makingn
World-famous jam-making firm Wilkin & Sons is hoping it can help make a young racing driver’s ambition to become a Formula One champion a reality.
The Tiptree company sponsors the Italian protege Antonio Fuoco, aged 17, who is one of only four drivers at the Ferrari Driver Academy.
Over the past year he has progressed through the ranks and in 2014 is due to compete in the European Formula Three championship for the first time.
Antonio recently visited Tiptree to meet staff and take a tour of the farm and jam factory. He was in the UK to improve his English after a busy and very successful season.
“We first heard about Antonio in a chance conversation on a railway platform at Kelvedon,” said joint managing director Ian Thurgood.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only is Antonio a hugely talented driver, he is reserved and totally focused on reaching the top in motor racing.
“He was contracted to Ferrari and we became sponsors when he was just 16 years old.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
“His championship-winning first season in single-seaters exceeded all expectations, culminating in a European F3 season in 2014.
“Antonio is based at the Ferrari site in Maranello and is one of four drivers currently undergoing training. Away from the race track he’s too young to have a driving licence to drive cars on the road.”
And, according to Mr Thurgood, the partnership isn’t just enabling a young man reach his goal, its helping the company secure its reputation in Italy.
He added: “Over the last 30 years, Italy has become one of the largest overseas markets for Tiptree preserves. Favourites include lemon curd and orange marmalade.”