Title race goes down to wire
THE race for the Suffolk Merit League Division One will go down to the final few matches after Woodbridge II suffered a 31-8 defeat at Stowmarket Oaks.
The surprise loss has opened the door to the Wattisham Warriors whose narrow win over Colchester III keeps them very much in the hunt.
Woodbridge remain favourites and will wrap up the title if they beat or draw against Harwich & Dovercourt II on Saturday. Even a defeat by less than seven points will give them the title.
But if they lose by more than one converted try, Wattisham will just need to win their last two matches - against third bottom Bury St Edmunds Rovers III and basement club Mersea Island Rhinos.
With two victories expected of Wattisham regardless of how the league leaders get on, Colchester will have to settle for third.
You may also want to watch:
In Division Two of the Merit League, there has been no such late drama with Ipswich YM Hawks wrapping up the title with three games left (see main story). Likewise, Colchester Cavaliers have assured themselves of the runners-up spot.
There is more excitement in the battle for third which has become a three-way fight between Felixstowe, University of Essex III and Thorpeness who have had a highly commendable first season back since reforming.
- 1 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 7 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 8 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
n I want your trophy success. Regardless of the cup, shield, plate or league, I want to hear about your silverware this season. Young and old sides alike, I will endeavour to include all of your end-of-season triumphs in this column so send me your details and, where possible, some celebratory photos of your success. Please contact me at email@example.com