Toffees line up Taylor
EVERTON last night launched an �8m bid to sign Newcastle defender Steven Taylor - and that could clear the way for Joleon Lescott to join Manchester City.
EVERTON last night launched an �8m bid to sign Newcastle defender Steven Taylor - and that could clear the way for Joleon Lescott to join Manchester City. (Daily Star)
Taylor could be the latest star to leave St James's Park following Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Sebastien Bassong and Habib Beye.
The former England Under-21s captain is Moyes' No.1 target - even though the Everton boss still wants to hang onto Lescott.
But City boss Mark Hughes yesterday insisted the deal is not dead and said: “People need to be able to get in a position where they can speak and discuss whether or not the situation can be moved forward and that hasn't happened yet.
You may also want to watch:
“We're still trying to speak to the people that will ultimately make the decision whether or not the deal continues. I think those conversations are still taking place, but how long they'll stay active is open to debate.”
If the move for Lescott finally collapses a move for Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin remains likely. Meanwhile, David O'Leary has snubbed the chance to manage Newcastle after failing to agree a deal with Toon owner Mike Ashley.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 10 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots