Tom Daley’s rival Matthew Mitcham makes ominous return
OLYMPIC champion Matthew Mitcham has made an ominous return to form which will make British hopeful Tom Daley’s chances of winning a medal all the more difficult.
Mitcham has suffered from injury for the past year but returned at the Australian trials and secured perfect 10s from all seven judges on one of his dives to post a plus-550 score.
That performance would have been enough to beat Daley at last month’s World Series event in Beijing, when the British teenager took silver behind world champion Qiu Bo.
“It looks like everything I’m doing is starting to work and fall into place,” Mitcham said. “I’m starting to dive like the old me again.
“It is the first time since my injury last year that I have dived with no pain.”
You may also want to watch:
Mitcham won gold in the 10m platform in Beijing, but his preparation for London has been undermined by a stomach injury suffered last April.
The 24-year-old made a return to international competition at February’s World Cup meet at the London Aquatics Centre but failed to make the final.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site