Tom Lawrence says Ipswich Town played ‘massive part’ in development, following £6m Derby County switch
- Credit: Archant
Tom Lawrence has thanked Ipswich Town for the part they have played in his development following his multi-million pound move to Derby County.
During his time at Leicester City, Lawrence had temporary spells at Rotherham United, Blackburn Rovers and Cardiff City before really making a name for himself during a sparkling season-long loan at Portman Road in 2016/17.
“When you are young and go out on loan, each loan spell you learn from,” said the 23-year-old Welsh international, who joins the Rams for an initial fee of £6m, but which could rise to £7m.
“I learned a lot at Ipswich under Mick McCarthy and I think it showed in my performances. The loan spell at Ipswich was massive for me.
“There is a good base there, a great set of lads, manager and staff. They are all great. It just felt good.
You may also want to watch:
“Mick McCarthy was a massive help to me. Every loan spell I have learned, but I think last season I learned the most I have in my career to date and I am grateful for that.
“I showed everyone what I can do in this league and hopefully I can carry it on this season at Derby. I can’t wait to get started.”
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 How it all unfolded as Town come back to grab a point against Owls
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
Derby boss Gary Rowett, who has reportedly handed Lawrence a five-year deal, said: “He had some really good references. I spoke to Mick McCarthy, and if Mick says someone is a decent player than you know he is a decent player because Mick has been around the block.
“Mick was gushing about Tom and said he was fantastic for them last season.”