Tom Westley signs new contract with Essex and is named vice-captain
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Tom Westley has been named Essex vice-captain across all three formats of the game, after signing a contract extension which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2018 season.
The all-rounder has become an important part of the Essex side across Championship and limited overs cricket, since making his county debut in 2007, going on to play 99 First Class matches, 45 List A games and 32 Twenty20 contests.
As well as memorable centuries against Kent and Sussex in T20 cricket and a ton in a four-day games against a touring Australia side last season, Westley has become increasing useful with the ball, following a spell with England Lions this winter.
He will now assist newly appointed Championship captain Ryan ten Doeschate and limited overs skipper Ravi Bopara, and is delighted to have committed his future to Essex.
“I feel honoured. It’s a big day,” Westley said after signing his new deal.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s been a lot of positive changes being made around the club over the last three or four months. Working with Ryan & Ravi, I’ve got a good relationship with both of them, and have played with them both for a number of years now. If they need help or support, or some suggestions, then I think that is my role. Also, I think I can be a bit of a go-between for the Captains and the rest of the players.”
Head coach Chris Silverwood sees Westley as the perfect vice-captain for ten Doeschate and Bopara and is excited to have been able to keep him at the club.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
“Tom has been exceptional for us over the past few seasons, and it seems the logical next step in his progression to take on the role of vice-captain,” Silverwood said.
“We are delighted he has signed his new contract. He has an excellent cricket brain, and I believe he will enjoy the added responsibility of working with Ryan and Ravi in order to move our cricket forward.
“Tom Westley will be an important part of the future of Essex CCC.”