Watch youngster Hughes score incredible winner from halfway line as U18s come from behind to win
- Credit: Archant
Academy youngster Tommy Hughes scored the winning goal from inside his own half as Ipswich Town’s Under 18s came back from 2-0 down to secure a 3-2 victory away at Birmingham yesterday.
The Young Blues found themselves trailing by two goals before Armando Dobra, who recently signed a professional deal, levelled matters for Adem Atay and Kieron Dyer’s side.
But the best was yet to come as Hughes, who has played for the club’s Under 23s this season, spotted the goalkeeper off his line and lifted the ball into the back of the net superbly from just inside his own half.
It’s the second league game in a row in which the Blues have come from two goals down to win, having beaten Bolton 6-2 at Playford Road last weekend.
The Under 18s were knocked out of the Suffolk Premier Cup by Leiston’s senior side in midweek.
U18s: Alley, Viral, Wyss, Hughes, Henderson, Fehrenbach, Ruffles, Foudil, Z Brown, Dobra, Simpson
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 6 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket