Watch: Youngster Hughes scores wonder goal for Town Under 23s
- Credit: Archant
Young Ipswich Town talent Tommy Hughes is having a great week, making his senior debut for the Blues on Tuesday night – and then scoring this worldie against Bolton in an Under 23s fixture.
Versatile teenager Hughes, 18, came on for the final ten minutes of Town's 4-0 EFL Trophy canter over Gillingham on Tuesday night, before turning out for the Blues' Under 23 side yesterday.
And that went pretty well too, Town winning 6-3 and Hughes bagging a brace, including this cracking lob from just inside the Bolton half, beautifully controlling the ball past a Bolton defender with his first touch, before spotting the keeper off his line and pinging the ball into the net.
Hughes, who broke his leg earlier in an Under 23s game in March, is certainly making his mark at Town.
After the Gillingham win, assistant manager Stuart Taylor said: "We got a chance to bring in a couple of young kids again, with Idris (El Mizouni) starting, (Armando) Dobra coming on and young Tommy Hughes making his debut off the bench. That is fantastic for him and for the academy.
"When we came in last year Tommy had a bad leg break. He worked really hard to come back in good condition and has shown a good attitude.
"We'll always reward players for showing a good attitude and working hard. He got that reward by coming up and training with the first-team, like many others have done, he was fortunate tonight to go and get an opportunity which he grabbed with both hands.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 3 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 6 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 7 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 8 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 9 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 10 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
"I thought he did very well in the middle of the pitch and it was great to see him in there."