Tommy Oar looking to make up for lost time at Ipswich Town
Winger Tommy Oar is looking to make up for lost time during the second half of the season.
The Australian moved to Portman Road at the start of September following his release from Dutch side FC Utrecht but, despite showing flashes of his ability during his seven appearances to date, hasn’t played as often as he would have liked and has only started twice for his new side.
Oar’s performances in training have earned him plenty of praise from manager Mick McCarthy and his teammates in recent weeks, with the 24-year-old now looking to transfer that to matchday.
“In the last month or so I think I’ve been training really well and physically I feel a lot better than I did when I first arrived,” Oar told the club website.
“It took me a while to get up to speed because I missed out on pre-season and did a lot of travelling with Australia, but now I feel a lot sharper and think that has shown in the games I’ve featured in recently, as I feel I’ve done reasonably well.
You may also want to watch:
“I always knew it would take a fair bit of time to get up to speed because of the travelling [with Australia] and the lack of a pre-season, but also because I had to adapt to new surroundings and a new way of living [in England] but that’s all fine now.
“Hopefully I can keep working hard and break into the starting line-up but full credit to the boys at present, we are on a great run and they are delivering on the pitch so we can’t really complain.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
“It’s exciting to be pushing up towards the top end of the table and long may that continue.”