Ex-Town star Smith could face Blues in friendly clash with U’s
- Credit: Archant
Ex-Ipswich Town defender and local lad Tommy Smith is on trial at Colchester United – and could line up against the Blues when the sides meet for two friendlies on Tuesday night.
Smith, 30, is a free agent having left Sunderland at the end of last season. He signed for the Black Cats in January, having trained with Town, but didn’t play a game.
The central defender featured in the first half of League Two Colchester’s friendly clash with Gillingham yesterday, under new boss Steve Ball. Gillingham won 2-0.
Smith, who left Town for the Colorado Rapids in January 2018, spent 11 years at Portman Road, playing more than 250 games.
The U’s and Town will meet in two 75-minute friendly clashes behind closed doors at the Community Stadium on Tuesday night.
You may also want to watch:
The games, which kick off at 6pm and 8pm, will be streamed live by Colchester, at a cost of £5.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 8 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them