Tony Barnes explains why Felixstowe & Walton’s manager was sacked
FELIXSTOWE & Walton director of football Tony Barnes said protecting the club’s ethos was a major factor in the sacking of manager Steve Buckle, on Tuesday.
Buckle and assistant, Gary Thompson, were removed from their posts just three days after the Seasiders’ 1-0 home defeat to Ipswich Wanderers in the FA Vase.
That followed an indifferent start to the season which yielded four points from 12 on offer.
However, Barnes revealed Buckle’s departure was not entirely down to results on the pitch and was more to do with the manager’s philosophy.
“It’s too early in the season to be entirely results-based,” said Barnes.
You may also want to watch:
“It is quite apparent that in many different areas of the club a lot of people felt Steve and Gary were taking the team in the wrong direction.
“The directors’ ethos is about having a strong junior side within the club and with respect to some of the players on the bench, the youngsters are not being given a chance.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 6 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 7 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
“I am never going to pick a squad or team for Steve, he has control over that, but unfortunately managers live and die by the decisions they make.
“There was a lot of unrest in the camp and I suppose it came down to the committee to decide whether or not they wanted to run the risk of losing quality, young players from the club or protect what they had.”
Meanwhile, Barnes denied the club revealed the decision to sack the duo on the internet.
Buckle claims he found out via Twitter before receiving an email from Barnes.
Barnes explained : “That amazes me, I did not tell anyone before I told Steve.
“I can only think that people were surmising it may happen as there was quite a bit of unrest at the weekend.”