Top 10 lows of Colchester United’s 2013-14 season
Having recently published a top 10 highs of Colchester United’s 2013-14 season, and also a top 10 quotes of the season, it’s now time to give the run-down on the U’s top 10 lows of the campaign
1 A rare howler from keeper Sam Walker allows Sheffield United to escape with a 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane on August 17. Walker lets a long-range shot by Harry Maguire slip through his fingertips.
2 “It’s a bad night for the club” – admits U’s boss Joe Dunne after four second-half goals are conceded in a 4-1 defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. Magnus Okuonghae is sent off, while Gavin Massey, Josh Thompson and Brian Wilson all sustain injuries, and Ryan Dickson is again laid-low by a mystery virus.
3 Conceding an equaliser, in the sixth minute of injury-time, courtesy of Andy Taylor’s clinical free-kick in a 1-1 home draw with Walsall, denies the U’s what would have been a first win in nine league games.
4 So good, for so long, at high-flying Brentford in October, the U’s see their 1-0 lead evaporate as three goals inside 10 minutes see them slither to a 3-1 defeat at Griffin Park. It stretches the U’s winless streak to 10 league games.
You may also want to watch:
5 A harsh penalty decision, for handball by Magnus Okuonghae, sees the U’s bow out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle, beaten 3-2 by Sheffield United.
6 The hapless U’s are torn apart by visiting Notts County, who clamber off the basement with a 4-0 victory in mid-December. It was as desperate as it gets!
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 8 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
7 A demoralising 2-0 away defeat at a freezing Port Vale, on a Tuesday night in February. It is the U’s first game for 24 days, due to four successive postponements.
8 The relegation warning bells are sounding after a powder-puff 2-0 defeat at lowly rivals Notts County in late March.
9 Tranmere win 2-1 at the Community Stadium to inflict a fourth straight defeat on the U’s, while most of their relegation rivals pick up points.
10 An unlucky own goal, by Tom Eastman on the stroke of half-time, condemns the U’s to a 1-0 home defeat to Oldham, leaving them just one point clear of the bottom four with two games to go.