Top-flight reprieve for Clacton Town
CLACTON Town have avoided relegation from the Premier Division of the Ridgeons League despite gaining just one point last season.The management committee of the league has agreed this, and subject to ratification at the annual general meeting Clacton will remain in the top flight in 2006/07.
By Elvin King
CLACTON Town have avoided relegation from the Premier Division of the Ridgeons League despite gaining just one point last season.
The management committee of the league has agreed this, and subject to ratification at the annual general meeting Clacton will remain in the top flight in 2006/07.
With AFC Sudbury and Bury Town moving up to the new Ryman League Division One North and Fulbourn Institute not having facilities to allow a move up from the First Division after finishing third, Clacton have been reprieved. And Harwich & Parkeston and Norwich United, who ended second and third from bottom, will also be staying in the Premier Division.
You may also want to watch:
Clacton scored just 20 goals in their 42 games and conceded a hefty 179, and have been saved by league rules, which state that only teams who finish in the top three can gain promotion from the First Division.
Cambridge City Reserves have changed their name to AFC Cambridge, while Stanway Rovers and Felixstowe & Walton United move up from Division One.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
No new clubs have entered the league, and the First Division will have two less clubs than in 2005/06.
Subject to confirmation at the annual general meeting at Harwich on Saturday June 17 the Ridgeons League constitution will be as follows in the 2006/07 campaign:
Premier Division - AFC Cambridge, Clacton Town, Dereham Town, Diss Town, Felixstowe & Walton United, Halstead Town, Harwich & Parkeston, Histon Reserves, Ipswich Wanderers, King's Lynn Reserves, Kirkley, Leiston, Lowestoft Town, Mildenhall Town, Needham Market, Newmarket Town, Norwich United, Soham Town Rangers, Stanway Rovers, Wisbech Town, Woodbridge Town, Wroxham.
First Division - Cornard United, Debenham LC, Downham Town, Ely City, Fakenham Town, Fulbourn Institute, Godmanchester Rovers, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth Town, Hadleigh United, Haverhill Rovers, Long Melford, March Town United, Saffron Walden Town, Stowmarket Town, Swaffham Town, Thetford Town, Tiptree United, Walsham-le-Willows, Whitton United.