SIL Senior Division preview: Top-of-the-table clash is match of the week
- Credit: Archant
There’s an early season top-of-the-table clash in the SIL Senior Division this weekend.
Crane Sports, who sit atop the table after their first five games with four wins, a defeat and a goal difference of plus 13, travel to defending league champions Achilles.
The champions currently sit in fourth place, with a game in hand, having claimed three wins, a draw and a goal difference of plus 11 from their first four games.
It promises to be a fascinating match-up between the early season pace-setters and last season’s dominant and free-scoring champions.
Cranes warmed up for the clash with a 4-2 over third-placed Felixstowe Harpers last week, while Achilles were held to a draw in a 3-3 thriller at Claydon.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, second-placed Benhall St Mary, who are only below Cranes on goal difference (P5, W4, L1, GD+10) travel to Westerfield United looking to continue their fine start to the season.
They enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win over East Bergholt United last week, with red-hot striker and captain Chris Sillett on target again.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
Westerfield, who sit in tenth spot with two wins and three defeats so far, lost 2-0 at Leiston St Margarets last week and will need to raise their game if they are to upset the Badgers.
Felixstowe Harpers look to bounce back from their first defeat of the season as they host Henley Athletic, who - together with Achilles – are one of the league’s two unbeaten sides.
Athletic, in fifth spot, have won three and drawn one of their first four games, and boast a plus six goal difference. They didn’t play last weekend.
Meanwhile, sixth-placed Capel Plough entertain the newly promoted Trimley Red Devils, who sit a point and place beneath them. The Ploughmen beat Bramford United 4-2 last week, while Trimley enjoyed a 1-0 triumph at Grundisburgh.
The rest of this weekend’s fixtures are: Bramford United v Leiston St Margarets, Claydon v Grundisburgh, Coplestonians v Wenhaston United, East Bergholt United v Haughley United and Westerfield United v Benhall St Mary.