Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues in line for £800k boost if Clarke signs for Leeds United
- Credit: Bluepitch Media / Joe Pepler
Ipswich Town could be in line for a windfall of almost £1m if ex-defender Matt Clarke signs for Leeds United in a £4m move this summer, it has been reported.
Centre-back Clarke has been outstanding for Portsmouth this season, playing in all 39 of Pompey’s League One clashes.
And that form has big-spending Leeds and Stoke City interested in the Town youth product, with both said to be mulling £4m summer moves for him in a report in The Times.
MORE: Meet Town’s new scholars
If that happens, the soon-to-be relegated Blues would get a significant cash boost ahead of their first campaign in League One, having apparently included a 20% sell-on clause in the deal which saw Clarke depart Portman Road for Pompey in 2016, Adam Webster coming the other way.
So, if Clarke does indeed go for £4m, Town would benefit to the tune of £800,000.
You may also want to watch:
Portsmouth, who lifted the EFL Trophy on penalties against Sunderland in front of 84,000 fans at Wembley last weekend, are currently in the promotion shake-up in League One, sitting in third spot, five points off second place.
Town, of course, are staring relegation to the third tier in the face, rock bottom of the Championship, 13 points from safety with just 7 games left and 21 points to play for.
- 1 Coleman on Cook: 'If that's indication of his fortune as Ipswich manager, they can book a place in the Championship'
- 2 Popular Woodbridge restaurant set to close
- 3 'Please don't believe everything you read in the media' - Ipswich Town owner Evans addresses takeover reports
- 4 'I have no doubt Ipswich will be successful' - Richardson doesn't rule out joining Cook at Town
- 5 Marcus Evans on Paul Cook: 'He has shown a great desire to become our next manager'
- 6 Ipswich case rate rises, other Suffolk districts among lowest in England
- 7 'The time is not right to fiddle when Rome burns' - Evans outlines Lambert 'disagreements'
- 8 Man taken to hospital with serious leg injuries following collision
- 9 Anger over loss of habitats after pond drained and trees felled
- 10 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 2-1 win at Accrington Stanley