Poll results: Town fans want key men tied to new deals soon
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town supporters are keen to see key players Bartosz Bialkowski and David McGoldrick tied down to new contracts sooner rather than later.
The Blues have several first-team players now in the final 12 months of their contracts, though the club does hold the option to extend those deals by a further year should they wish.
Skipper Luke Chambers has not hidden his displeasure at the way the club let his contract run down until the last minute before finally negotiating a fresh two-year deal and recently, unprompted, raised the topic of his team-mate McGoldrick now being in the same position.
Cole Skuse has also said he doesn’t know if the club wants to keep him beyond next summer, with Bristol City boss Lee Johnson having admitted he’d like to bring the midfielder back to Ashton Gate one day.
Quizzed on the issue, Blues boss Mick McCarthy said now is not the time to discuss contracts.
Close to 400 people voted in our recent contract poll. Here are the results:
You may also want to watch:
Take the 12 month option – 43%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 42%
- 1 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 7 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Make a decision later in the season – 15%
Take the 12 month option – 15%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 81%
Make a decision later in the season – 4%
Take the 12 month option – 1%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 99%
Make a decision later in the season – 0%
Take the 12 month option – 27%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 63%
Make a decision later in the season – 10%
Take the 12 month option – 7%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 90%
Make a decision later in the season – 3%
Take the 12 month option – 43%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 18%
Make a decision later in the season – 39%
The 21-year-old has made nine league starts since the start of 2015/16. McCarthy said: “I spoke to him in the physio’s room and he feels great. He’s been running and he’s really positive about himself, which is what I love about him at the moment. I’m hoping this last operation is going to get him fit, for him as much as anything, because it’s a terrible time for a young footballer, especially one as talented as him, to be missing so much.”
Take the 12 month option – 25%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 5%
Make a decision later in the season – 70%
• The homegrown midfielder, 25, has been ruled out until Christmas after knee surgery. He’s made just 23 league starts since the start of the 2014/15 season.
Take the 12 month option – 35%
Negotiate a fresh 2+ year deal – 12%
Make a decision later in the season – 53%
• The towering striker, a £10k signing from Forest Green Rovers last January, has scored nine goals in 13 games on loan at League One side Rotherham. McCarthy said: “Fantastic. We took a real chance on Kieffer. He did alright a couple of games, but the reality was this season we had better strikers for this league. He’s done brilliantly, Rotherham would love to sign him, but why would we do a deal now? He may come back and play in the Championship for us yet. That would suit me better.”