‘If that’s a penalty then we might as well stop the season now’ - Town fans on cruel defeat at Sunderland
Ipswich Town went down to a cruel 2-1 defeat at promotion rivals Sunderland tonight - here’s what fans are saying about it...
Town had fallen behind after just eight minutes, Charlie Wyke giving the Black Cats the lead in a game which was delayed by half an hour because of issues with the iFollow video service.
But Jack Lankester gave Town hope with a brilliant leveller after 38 minutes, igniting a spirited display by Paul Lambert’s men.
Then two key decisons went against them in the second half. First, Andre Dozzell was sent off for a foul on Leadbitter with 18 minutes left, a decision which was apparently a surprise to all involved.
Then, with five minutes left, Mark McGuinness hooked the ball into his flailing arm and referee Peter Wright pointed to the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Leadbitter stepped up and gave the home side the win.
Town, who remain second in the table, host Portsmouth in the FA Cup first round on Saturday.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years