‘If that’s a penalty then we might as well stop the season now’ - Town fans on cruel defeat at Sunderland
Ipswich Town went down to a cruel 2-1 defeat at promotion rivals Sunderland tonight - here’s what fans are saying about it...
Town had fallen behind after just eight minutes, Charlie Wyke giving the Black Cats the lead in a game which was delayed by half an hour because of issues with the iFollow video service.
But Jack Lankester gave Town hope with a brilliant leveller after 38 minutes, igniting a spirited display by Paul Lambert’s men.
Then two key decisons went against them in the second half. First, Andre Dozzell was sent off for a foul on Leadbitter with 18 minutes left, a decision which was apparently a surprise to all involved.
Then, with five minutes left, Mark McGuinness hooked the ball into his flailing arm and referee Peter Wright pointed to the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Leadbitter stepped up and gave the home side the win.
Town, who remain second in the table, host Portsmouth in the FA Cup first round on Saturday.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 'Dedicated' volunteer police officer dies after having Covid-19
- 3 Floods as river bursts its banks at beauty spot
- 4 Ipswich closing in on Thomas signing, as club await Harrop medical results
- 5 Suffolk coronavirus vaccine concerns – your questions answered
- 6 Latest 'R rate' shows coronavirus still spreading in region
- 7 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk
- 8 Where Ipswich Town are at with ins and outs during the January transfer window
- 9 Infection rates continue to tumble across Suffolk and Essex
- 10 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk