‘Would certainly put him in over Wilson or Chambers’ - Town fans want Smith back
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town fans have been debating whether or not the club should try to re-sign former favourite Tommy Smith - here’s the results of our poll, plus a taste of what they’ve been saying...
Academy product Smith, 30, left League One rivals Sunderland last week without kicking a ball, having joined the Black Cats in February after returning from playing in America’s MLS.
He trained with Town prior to the Sunderland deal, and played more than 250 games for the Blues before departing for the US in January 2018.
And fans voting in our poll on the subject were very much in favour of trying to re-sign the defender, with 81% clicking ‘yes’ when asked if the Blues should bring Smith back to Portman Road.
Just 19% of the almost 1,000 votes cast were against re-signing the popular New Zealand international.
You may also want to watch:
On social media, opinion was more split, with the main argument against bringing Smith back being his age and the need for the club to focus on the future.
- What do you think? Let us know!
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism