Cutbush at the double as Town ease through in FA Youth Cup
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town’s Baby Blues booked their place in the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with an impressive 4-1 win over Southend United at Portman Road this afternoon.
Strikes from Harley Curtis, Liam Gibbs and Alfie Cutbush put Town 3-0 up, before Ergis Shala pulled one back for the Shrimpers on the stroke of half-time.
That’s how it stayed for most of the the second half, before Cutbush struck again with three minutes left to seal the win.
Blues took the lead after six minutes through Curtis, who spun his marker and finished low into the bottom corner.
Town doubled their lead on 12 minutes thanks to a brilliantly worked team goal that was finished off calmly by Gibbs.
You may also want to watch:
On 42 minutes, Cutbush burst through into the area and added a third for Town. The visitors found a way back into the game, with Shala heading home just before the half-time whistle.
Blues had to weather the storm in the second half, with Southend threatening to add a second, but it was Town who prevailed and Cutbush pounced on a mistake to slot home and make sure of Blues’ passage to the next round.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 7 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
Adem Atay’s under 18 side will face Chelmsford City away in the second round.
Town starting XI: Bort, Wyss, Armin, Cutbush, Stewart, Baggott, Nwabueze, Chirewa, Curtis, Gibbs, Siziba.
Subs: Ridd, Alexander, Humphreys, Agbaje, Osbourne, Valentine