Tractor Girls grab a point after 17 minutes of added time following brawl
- Credit: Archant
FA National League South East Division One Ipswich Town 3 Enfield Town 3 Ipswich Town fought back from 3-0 down to snatch a point at the death after more than 17 minutes of added time at the end of the second-half following a mass brawl, writes Kieren Standley.
Town skipper Amanda Crump struck twice, and claimed the assist for the leveller with a dangerous corner in an incredibly-heated affair.
The visitors took the lead in the first 15 minutes after capitalising on some lacklustre defending from Town. Sara Degooyer found herself unmarked in the six-yard box and swept home a low cross from the right-hand side. It could have been two in quick succession for the Londoners but Eliza Diaz’s speculative dipping volley smashed the crossbar.
However the away side did double their advantage with a scintillating counter-attack. Molly Peters, who had terrorised Town with her electric pace, broke through the middle of the field before racing past four Ipswich defenders, rounding Sian Fagg and slotting into an open net.
Town’s horrific first-half would continue as Peters added to her tally on the stroke of half-time, this time converting from close range after more sloppy defending from Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
To their credit, Town responded well after the break and were awarded a penalty moments after the restart as Natasha Thomas was hauled down in the area. Crump stepped up and held her nerve to dispatch the spot-kick low to the keeper’s left to give Town a lifeline.
Crump was again at the heart of the action as the Tractor Girls netted a second goal just two minutes later, with her corner somehow beating Enfield keeper Grace Brooks and sneaking its way in at the near-post.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
The dramatic ending would soon escalate as a massive scuffle broke out after a late tackle on Town defender Laken Duchar-Clark, which resulted in an Enfield substitute being shown a straight red card for a headlock on Ipswich midfielder Mollie DeBell.
Ipswich continued to press for a late equaliser with Sophie Welton unlucky to see her effort miraculously cleared off the line. Finally, after 17 minutes of added time, Town finally found a leveller and claimed a well fought point as Crump’s dangerous corner was bundled over the line by Enfield defender Claire Ford.
The Tractor Girls return to action on Wednesday night (7.45pm) as they face local rivals Norwich City in the East Anglian derby at The Goldstar Ground in Felixstowe.