Sophie Welton hits four as Town Ladies run riot in 9-0 trouncing
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Premier League South East Division One Ipswich Town 9 Haringey Borough 0 Ipswich Town Ladies bounced back from last Sunday’s disappointing FA Cup exit to Charlton with an emphatic 9-0 trouncing of bottom of the league Haringey Borough at the Goldstar Ground in Felixstowe, writes Kieren Standley.
Four goals from winger Sophie Welton, two for skipper Amanda Crump and other goals from Miagh Downey, Cassie Craddock and Natasha Thomas saw the Blues, in fifth place with a game in hand, continue to make the teams above them look nervously over their shoulders.
It took Town just nine minutes to take the lead, Harriet Petley played an outstanding through ball to Welton, with the winger rounding Haringey keeper Chericish Young and firing into an open net.
Three minutes later and the Blues doubled their advantage, this time Downey raced onto a Jordan Arnoup through ball and fired low past the onrushing Young.
Welton then struck again for the dominant Blues as she fired into the bottom left corner from just inside the area, following Crump’s intricate ball through.
You may also want to watch:
Crump would then get herself on the score sheet, with the Town skipper bundling the ball over the line following a calamitous mistake from Young.
Goal number five arrived on the stroke of half-time when Natasha Thomas forced the ball through to Welton, and with Young in no man’s land, the winger confidently tucked home, sealing her hat-trick.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 9 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
Welton’s incredible day would continue in the second half when she poked home from close range after Crump’s corner caused chaos in the Haringey area.
Five minutes later, the Tractor Girls got their seventh, this time Craddock notched her 10th goal of the season, beating the keeper with a tidy finish after some excellent play down the right from Gemma Moore.
Moore would then turn provider for a second time when she delivered an excellent deep cross to the back post, with Crump steering home for goal number eight.
The rout was completed at the death when the impressive Moore whipped the ball in for Thomas, who claimed her 12th goal of the season with a close range header.
The Blues return to action this Sunday away at fellow promotion hopefuls Leyton Orient. The two teams have met twice already this season with the O’s winning the reverse league fixture 2-0 and Town knocking the East London club out of the FA Cup 4-2, after extra-time.