Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Coventry attacker a target, with Blues set to miss out on Szmodics
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Coventry City attacker Jordan Shipley has ‘caught the eye’ of Ipswich Town ahead of the January transfer window opening, according to the Coventry Telegraph.
They report that the 22-year-old impressed Paul Lambert after Ipswich and Coventry played each other three times in the space of seven days recently.
Shipley scored one and created the other as the Sky Blues knocked Town out of the FA Cup at St Andrew's. Prior to that he came on just before half-time in the 1-1 league draw, helping change the tide of the game, and was withdrawn in the 57th minute of the 1-1 original FA Cup meeting at Portman Road.
Born and raised in Coventry, Shipley has scored 14 goals in 82 starts and 25 sub appearances for his boyhood club. Capable of playing wide left, his recent impressive form has come playing in an advanced central role.
This news comes hot on the heels of reports that Town are set to miss out on a loan deal for attacking midfielder Sammie Szmodics.
The 24-year-old has struggled for game time at Bristol City since making a £750k switch from Colchester United last summer. The Bristol Post says that Hull, Huddersfield and Ipswich showed interest in a loan deal, but boss Lee Johnson wasn't willing for the player to join promotion rivals Hull and, despite Szmodics being keen on Ipswich for geographical reasons, wasn't keen on him dropping out of the Championship either.
As a result, Szmodics is said to be close to joining Huddersfield on loan. He would be reunited with Danny Cowley at the Yorkshire club, Cowley having briefly taken him on loan at Braintree back in 2015.
You may also want to watch:
Asked about his January transfer window plans following Sunday's 5-3 defeat at Lincoln, Lambert said: "There would only be money available if we sold some guys. We don't have the money. We can't go out and buy. You know that better than I do having reported on the club.
"That's fine. You work within parameters. Marcus (Evans) has been really good with me and tells me how it is.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 6 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
- 9 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
"It's up to the guys to go out and perform and get back on track. As a leader you stick with the guys you've got."