Who are they? Town’s League One rivals Accrington beat French giants Marseille
- Credit: Archant
While Ipswich Town are out in Germany preparing for their League One campaign, one of their rivals have tuned up with a remarkable pre-season win over one of the giants of European football.
Accrington Stanley - perhaps still best known as the 'who are they?' from the famed 80's milk advert - enjoyed a 2-1 win over nine-times French champions Marseille yesterday.
In a game played in front of 1,266 fans at the AJ Bell Stadium - the home of rugby's Sale Sharks and Salford Red Devils - Stanley took the lead through Sean McConville inside 28 minutes.
Offrande Zanzala doubled their lead from the spot less than ten minutes later, and Stanley were on their way to a famous win.
Former Newcastle forward and 2018 World Cup winner Florian Thauvin found the net for Marseille late on, but it wasn't enough for the French giants.
You may also want to watch:
As well as Thauvin, Marseille fielded a side which included former West Ham midfielder Dimitri Payet.
Town, of course, lost to Stanley in the FA Cup last season, losing 1-0 away in the Third Round back in January.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 'It wasn't good for all our hearts' - Roberts delight after Town comeback win
- 10 Former Town boss McCarthy sacked by Cardiff City
The Blues also signed both striker Kayden Jackson and defender Janoi Donacien from Stanley last summer.
The two sides meet as equals in League One next season - Town make the trip to Accrington on Saturday October 19, with the reverse fixture at Portman Road on Saturday, January 11.