Town's double interest in squad
LEWIS PRICE will be joined in the Wales squad to play Cyprus by new Ipswich Town team-mate Gavin Williams.If the Blues keeper manages to avoid injury sickness or any other accident, he should actually make his full debut in the friendly international next Wednesday.
By Derek Davis
LEWIS PRICE will be joined in the Wales squad to play Cyprus by new Ipswich Town team-mate Gavin Williams.
If the Blues keeper manages to avoid injury sickness or any other accident, he should actually make his full debut in the friendly international next Wednesday.
John Toshack will name his squad at lunchtime and Williams, who joined the Blues on loan from West Ham this week, is also expected to be given the chance to make his second full Wales appearance of the season, after starting against Slovenia in August.
You may also want to watch:
That was the match in which Price was due to make his debut but he injured his knee at Leicester City the previous Saturday.
That injury cost him the chance of playing against England in the Millennium Stadium in a World Cup qualifier.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 9 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
The Bournemouth-born keeper, who qualifies to play for Wales through his Welsh dad, was then due to start against Northern Ireland in Belfast but a sore hip ruled him out of that the day before and he missed the Azerbaijan game with a damaged finger and the onset of bronchitis.
Price has been avoiding mirrors, walking under ladders or upsetting black cats ever since and should start in Cyprus.
He said: “It would be great to start - it would be about time. But I'm not tempting fate.
“It was awful missing out before, especially against the home nation sides but, hopefully, I will get my first cap soon.”
A full international programme has meant no Championship games scheduled this weekend, although the Blues have moved their Under-18s Academy match against Norwich City to Portman Road and hope to attract a 5,000 plus crowd.
Striker Billy Clarke is a doubt, after picking up an ankle injury, but the Blues are still likely to put out a strong side against the Canaries.
FA Youth Cup goalscoring hero Edward Upson is named in the squad, along with sharp-shooting young strikers Tony Boto, Darryl Knights, Danny Haynes and Jordan Rhodes.
Meanwhile, the senior side were handed a double training session yesterday as they welcomed new loanee Williams.
Owen Garvan has made excellent progress from his ankle problem, Gerard Nash is in full training after playing his second game for the reserves on Monday.
The only player who will not be available for the game at Coventry City next week is Kevin Horlock, who is suspended.