Town scouting French leagues ahead of January transfer window
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert is leaving no stone unturned in his search for January reinforcements.
We understand the Blues boss is scouting a number of European leagues – particularly the top two tiers in France – as the opening of the transfer window fast approaches.
With Town eight points adrift of safety at the foot of the Championship table, Lambert has made it clear he wants to strengthen his inexperienced and ‘unbalanced’ squad as soon as possible in the new year.
The focus of the recruitment drive is set to be domestic though, with Lambert having said he is ‘pretty sure’ the players he brings in will ‘know the league’.
And with Cole Skuse having recently been ruled out for two months due to a training ground knee injury, Town’s boss has admitted the need to add a midfielder with Championship know-how to play alongside youngsters such as Flynn Downes, Trevoh Chalobah, Jack Lankester, Teddy Bishop and Andre Dozzell has become even more pressing.
You may also want to watch:
Looking through the Premier League and Championship squads, there are number of players who fit the bill.
Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher are well down the pecking order at Lambert’s former club Stoke, while the likes of Henri Lansbury (Aston Villa), Joe Ledley (Derby), Jason Puncheon (Crystal Palace) and Steven Davies (Southampton) are all struggling for game time at present.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 5 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
A proven striker is needed to compete with makeshift front man Jordan Roberts and Kayden Jackson, while Lambert feels he lacks left-wing and right-back depth.
The need for a left-back could be determined by whether the Blues cash in on Jonas Knudsen as he enters the final six months of his deal.
Lambert has passed a list of targets to owner Marcus Evans and has insisted that, if he gets the players he wants, the Blues’ fortunes will quickly turn.
Championship clubs can name a maximum of five loan players in their match day squads.
Tayo Edun and Jordan Graham are set to return to parent clubs Fulham and Aston Villa respectively, leaving Chalobah (Chelsea), Matthew Pennington (Everton) and Janoi Donacien (Accrington Stanley) on temporary deals.