Town closing in on loan signing of Luke Garbutt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are set to sign Everton’s left-sided specialist Luke Garbutt on a season-long loan.
Capped by England from U16 to U21 level, the 26-year-old was once seen as the long-term successor to Leighton Baines at Goodison Park and, after featuring in several Europa League games, signed a five-year deal in 2015.
He's not kicked on with the Toffees though and, having spent last season on loan at League One club Oxford United, is now heading into the final year of his contract.
Having always been seen as a left-back, Garbutt was converted into a left-winger at Oxford last season and it was in that position which he played his best football.
That versatility will appeal to Blues boss Paul Lambert given he recently missed out on left-winger Danny Mayor and could also do with some competition for Myles Kenlock at left-back.
Garbutt has also had previous loan spells at Colchester in League One (13/14), Fulham in the Championship (15/16) and Wigan in the Championship (16/17), racking up close to 150 senior appearances.
He will become the fourth player in as many seasons to join Town on loan from Everton following on from Conor Grant, Callum Connolly and Matthew Pennington.
- 1 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 2 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 3 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Huge country home with no near neighbours up for sale for £1.45m
- 7 Family left homeless after bungalow destroyed in fire
- 8 NHS 'wargames' collapse of West Suffolk Hospital building
- 9 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 10 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
It's understood he is set to join up with the Town squad for the back end of their pre-season training camp in Germany and could be involved in the four-team Interwetten Cup at Meppen on Sunday.
Garbutt will become the club's fourth addition of the summer following on from the additions of striker James Norwood, as well as keepers Tomas Holy and Adam Przybek, the latter ear-marked for the U23s.
IPSWICH TOWN'S 2019 SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW
INS (3): James Norwood (Tranmere, Bosman free), Tomas Holy (Gillingham, Bosman free), Adam Przybek (West Brom, free).
OUTS (14): Dean Gerken (released), Jordan Spence (released), James Bree (loan expired), Matthew Pennington (loan expired), James Collins (released), Jonas Knudsen (released, signed for Malmo), Callum Elder (loan expired), Trevoh Chalobah (loan expired), Tom Adeyemi (released), Grant Ward (released), Simon Dawkins (released), Ellis Harrison (Portsmouth, £500k), Will Keane (loan expired), Collin Quaner (loan expired).
IPSWICH TOWN FIRST TEAM SQUAD AS IT STANDS (25)
Bialkowski, Holy; Emmanuel, Donacien, Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Ndaba, Kenlock, Nydam; Judge, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Huws; Edwards, Lankester, Rowe; Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Roberts.