Town closing in on loan signing of Luke Garbutt
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are set to sign Everton’s left-sided specialist Luke Garbutt on a season-long loan.
Capped by England from U16 to U21 level, the 26-year-old was once seen as the long-term successor to Leighton Baines at Goodison Park and, after featuring in several Europa League games, signed a five-year deal in 2015.
He's not kicked on with the Toffees though and, having spent last season on loan at League One club Oxford United, is now heading into the final year of his contract.
Having always been seen as a left-back, Garbutt was converted into a left-winger at Oxford last season and it was in that position which he played his best football.
That versatility will appeal to Blues boss Paul Lambert given he recently missed out on left-winger Danny Mayor and could also do with some competition for Myles Kenlock at left-back.
You may also want to watch:
Garbutt has also had previous loan spells at Colchester in League One (13/14), Fulham in the Championship (15/16) and Wigan in the Championship (16/17), racking up close to 150 senior appearances.
He will become the fourth player in as many seasons to join Town on loan from Everton following on from Conor Grant, Callum Connolly and Matthew Pennington.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
It's understood he is set to join up with the Town squad for the back end of their pre-season training camp in Germany and could be involved in the four-team Interwetten Cup at Meppen on Sunday.
Garbutt will become the club's fourth addition of the summer following on from the additions of striker James Norwood, as well as keepers Tomas Holy and Adam Przybek, the latter ear-marked for the U23s.
IPSWICH TOWN'S 2019 SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW
INS (3): James Norwood (Tranmere, Bosman free), Tomas Holy (Gillingham, Bosman free), Adam Przybek (West Brom, free).
OUTS (14): Dean Gerken (released), Jordan Spence (released), James Bree (loan expired), Matthew Pennington (loan expired), James Collins (released), Jonas Knudsen (released, signed for Malmo), Callum Elder (loan expired), Trevoh Chalobah (loan expired), Tom Adeyemi (released), Grant Ward (released), Simon Dawkins (released), Ellis Harrison (Portsmouth, £500k), Will Keane (loan expired), Collin Quaner (loan expired).
IPSWICH TOWN FIRST TEAM SQUAD AS IT STANDS (25)
Bialkowski, Holy; Emmanuel, Donacien, Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Ndaba, Kenlock, Nydam; Judge, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Huws; Edwards, Lankester, Rowe; Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Roberts.