‘It feels the right time to take up a new challenge’ – keeper Holy signs two-year deal at Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have announced they will be signing giant goalkeeper Tomas Holy when his contract at Gillingham expires.
The 6ft 9in custodian, who hails from the Czech Republic, will formally join the Blues on a two-year deal - with a 12 month extension option - next month.
Capped by his country up to Under-18 level, the former Sparta Prague youngster joined Gillingham in January 2017 and clocked up 107 appearances for the League One club.
"I enjoyed my two years at Gillingham and want to thank them for the opportunity they gave me but it feels the right time to take up a new challenge at Ipswich," Holy told the club website, having turned down a new deal at Priestfield Stadium.
"It's a massive club and I'm looking forward to meeting up with the squad for pre-season and will be ready to play my part in helping Ipswich try to get back in the Championship."
You may also want to watch:
Holy will join an Ipswich goalkeeping unit currently including Bartosz Bialkowski and Harry Wright, following Dean Gerken's release.
Bialkowski has been attracting Championship interest since the end of last season but, at this stage, no club has formalised that interest with an offer for the Polish goalkeeper.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found
It's understood the Blues are keen to carry three goalkeepers in their squad meaning that should Bialkowski move on the club would pursue other targets.