‘I’m here to battle for the starting spot’ – Town sign keeper Will Norris on loan from Wolves
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have confirmed the season-long loan signing of Wolves keeper Will Norris.
The 25-year-old has been brought to Portman Road to compete with fellow summer signing Tomas Holy for a place between the sticks following Bartosz Bialkowski's loan move to Championship club Millwall.
Norris started out lower down the non-league pyramid before making his name at Cambridge United, helping them to National League promotion and then establishing himself in League Two.
He joined Wolves for an undisclosed fee in 2017 and acted as back-up to John Ruddy as the West Midlands club won the Championship title in his debut campaign at Molineux.
The arrival of Rui Patricio saw him slip to third in the pecking order last season, though it's understood the club see him as having a big future. He's contracted at Molineux until 2021.
You may also want to watch:
"Ipswich is a massive club and this is a good opportunity for me," said Norris.
"When my agent told me about the interest it was an easy decision to come here. I don't know any of the lads but this is where I wanted to sign.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 10 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
"The club has already signed a good goalkeeper in Tomas Holy, but I'm here to battle for the starting spot and I'm looking forward to it. I'm hungry to play games and I'm eager to get going."
Norris becomes Town's fifth signing of the summer.
IPSWICH TOWN'S 2019 SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW
INS (5): James Norwood (Tranmere, Bosman free), Tomas Holy (Gillingham, Bosman free), Luke Garbutt (Everton, loan), Will Norris (Wolves, loan), Adam Przybek (West Brom, free).
OUTS (15): Bartosz Bialkowski (Millwall, loan), Dean Gerken (released), Jordan Spence (released), James Bree (loan expired), Matthew Pennington (loan expired), James Collins (released), Jonas Knudsen (released, signed for Malmo), Callum Elder (loan expired), Trevoh Chalobah (loan expired), Tom Adeyemi (released), Grant Ward (released), Simon Dawkins (released), Ellis Harrison (Portsmouth, £500k), Will Keane (loan expired), Collin Quaner (loan expired).
IPSWICH TOWN FIRST TEAM SQUAD AS IT STANDS (28)
Holy, Norris; Emmanuel, Donacien, Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Ndaba, Kenlock, Nydam, Clements; Judge, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Huws; Edwards, Lankester, Rowe, Garbutt, Dobra; Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Roberts.