Town to visit celebrating Leiston Town
RIDGEONS League Leiston celebrate their promotion to the Premier Division with a prestige friendly against an Ipswich Town XI at Victory Road tonight (7.
RIDGEONS League Leiston celebrate their promotion to the Premier Division with a prestige friendly against an Ipswich Town XI at Victory Road tonight (7.30pm kick-off).
With Town's first-team squad currently in Denmark with manager Joe Royle and coach Steve McCall, the home-grown Ipswich squad is in the capable hands of Academy director Bryan Klug.
The squad includes Bontcho Guentchev's teenage son Lubomir, a Bulgarian youth international, who is training with Ipswich.
Guentchev senior, who represented his country in the World Cup, was a popular striker with Town fans under John Lyall and now runs a restaurant in London. He still represents Ipswich in Masters tournaments. His son is also a left-sided striker.
You may also want to watch:
This is a big year for senior Academy players like Danny Flack, Liam Manning and Aidan Collins with the opportunity of regular reserve-team football and a chance to push on towards the first team.
Klug said: "We will have a very young team at Leiston, including strikers like Billy Clarke and Darryl Knights who have just turned 16.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 10 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
"Training is going well. They have been working hard for two to three weeks now and we don't have any injuries.
"Our next game is a reserve game against Barnet and the under-18s will play at Southwold on Friday, July 30.
"We are hoping a lot of these lads will be in the reserve team on a regular basis next season.
"After tonight the lads will have a long weekend off and the Irish and Scots lads can get home for a few days."
The Leiston squad includes former Town Academy keeper Scott Peat, playing against some of his former team-mates, as well as Lee McGlone and the George brothers who came through the youth scheme at Ipswich Wanderers.
Leiston: Peat, Rose, Challis, Wright, Donald George, Sparkes, Goddard, Andrews, White, Jennings, K Horner, R Horner, Day, Spurling, Whatling, Saker, Taylor, C Chenery, Danny George, Fryer, J Chenery and McGlone.
Ipswich Town Reserves: Supple, Hogg, Collins, Patten, Craig, Flack, Manning, Garvan, Boardley, Knights, Clarke, Sobers, Lordan, Krause, Beveridge, Synnott, Hammond and Guentchev.
Admission at Victory Roads is £4 for adults, £2 for concessions.